Today Toledo Public School Board members voted to put a renewal levy on the March 4th primary ballot.
As a renewal, it will collect the same amount in taxes as it currently does. It's 6.5 mills (effective rate of 3.8 mills) and would expire at the end of this year with collections ending at the end of 2008. It provides about $16 million per year to TPS and costs a $100,000 home about $117 per year.
We'll be discussing this tonight on Eye On Toledo, so I thought you'd like to see all the TPS levies that you currently pay:
Total TPS levies: 63.50 mills voted (28.08 effective rate)
* 44.80 mills is a continuous levy and is not voted upon
* 6.50 mills General (this is the one they voted to renew in March)
* 4.90 mills General (emergency levy approved in November 2004 - expires in 2008 and will stop being collected in 2009)
* 2.50 mills Permanent Improvement (defeated May 2005 as a substitute levy, passed in November 2005 - expires in 2009 and will stop being collected in 2010)
* 4.30 mills Construction Bonds (expires in 2029 with collections ending in 2030)
* 0.50 mills Classrooms (expires in 2024 with collections ending in 2025)
(cross posted on Eye On Toledo blog)